Monday, September 17, 2007

Week One of the Great Afghanistan Adventure

I'm in day three of the CRC (Conus Replacement Center) weeklong processing/training facility at Fort Benning, Georgia. I call it "fort lost in the woods" because it used to be the barracks for the Army Rangers going thru training, and I also have no idea where I am as we are literally in a small compound surrounded by woods. So far all days have lasted 14 plus hours and I need some sleep as a result. Lots of equipment issues (eventually 4 full dufflebags full of gear, body armor, clothing, etc.), and today was medical screening - I got 6 inoculations and 2 blood draws and I'm terrified to touch my Left arm because that one was inoculated for small pox and it's a live, spreadable virus. Touch it and itch your eye and you end up looking like Frankenstein. I'll have to take Malaria pills shortly every day for the next year - but I'm sure that's preferable to getting Malaria!

About 400 plus personnel processing thru this week - 208 of whom are private contractors! What's up with that? It's so easy to fall back into the rhythm of being a soldier again. It's funny - I'm with a group of men and women who have all volunteered to go across the globe - they deploy to up to 28 different countries from here, although most are headed to Iraq or Afghanistan - and it all seems perfectly natural to us. No one seems nervous or frightened, it's just an attitude of hey, this is what we do, let's do it. I have gotten a couple of "you're a wild man Bill" comments when they find out I'm not in a secure camp, but just out in the wilds of the country with one American Sergeant for company. But, who knows, I could be diverted when I get there to some nice cushy Forward Operating Base with great chow and movies at night once I arrive. 

Gotta go - computer time is limited and mine is up. I'll be in touch again soon.

No comments: